The Spruce Grove Water Tower
"In 1957, water and sewer were installed in Spruce Grove. A large water tower with the ability to hold up to 41 thousand gallons of water was set up at McLeod Avenue and Main Street on the back of the Elk's Hall property".
In June of 1978, three years after Edmonton water was brought in, the water tower was sold and dismantled. Since then, the water tower lay forgotten and abandoned in a farmer’s field, east of Spruce Grove and north of HWY 16A.
In 2010 the Water Tower was saved by the Ag Society volunteers. The Water Tower was transported to the Grain Elevator site. The Ag Society volunteers, local businesses and a generous donation by a local philanthropist were important for taking the first steps of restoring the Water Tower.
In September 2011 work began, first with the sandblasting and undercoating of the tank.
The local mural artist, James MacKay of Outhere Art & Design, worked with the Ag Society volunteer committee to create a spectacular mural. The mural, which represents 1958 Spruce Grove city landscape, was completed by James in October.
On November 8, 2011 the historic Water Tower was erected and placed back in Spruce Grove. "It kind of brings Spruce Grove alive," building Chairman George Sewell told CTV News. "We have nothing here in Spruce Grove that really tells the Spruce Grove story."
We are grateful to the following people & companies for donating their equipment and time to moving and restoring the Water Tower:
Jeanette Fuhr, Myshak Crane & Rigging, Cloverdale Paint, Howard's Transport Services, The Tractor Ranch, BKE Excavating Ltd., Big Horn Foundation Drilling Ltd., BIE Engineering, Fortis Alberta Ltd., Grove Machine & Welding, Jay-Vee Industries, Parkland Welding, Kernow Machining Services Ltd., and Outhere Art & Design.
Generous private donations and a Community Spirit Program Grant from the Government of Alberta has also made this preservation possible.